OutsidersInn is changing perceptions about homelessness through communication and healthy advocacy.
Vancouver, WA - OutsidersInn is a local grassroots organization 501 c (3) with the overall goal to use a multi-pronged approach to tackling the problem of homelessness, separation, and discrimination. Essentially we are:
Bringing peer support to the people outside.
Advocating for the homeless community in public meetings.
Advocating for the people and agencies that provide services for the homeless.
Building awareness in person and online about housing issues.
Bringing people together through healthy communication.
Changing perceptions & stopping separation.
Providing encouragement and inspiring hope.
Here is a little of what OutsidersInn has done:
- We were directly involved in developing policy and procedures concerning due process of handling homeless person’s belonging and camps.
- Advocacy in bringing the voice of the homeless to the table regarding the Day Center. We completed approximately 150 real time surveys with the homeless community so they had input into the services the Day Center provided. --The effects of this kind of communication and engagement has deep and lasting results in not only the project going on, but also within the homeless community itself. Helping this community to be heard and listened to is the core of our work.
- In the process of working the outreach and Day Center surveys, the real need of single women’s shelter beds was made clear, and we worked closely with agency leaders to support the efforts in finding a viable solutions. (WHAT)
- We are working with Peer Networks and communities of faith to support training and development of programs that includes community health, trauma, recovery and peer support connections. -- SW CHAPS, WACHWA
- We collaborate with faith-based leaders on a number of projects including being an active members on committees that established safe car camping projects, working with the inter-faith coalition to end homelessness, and co-coordinated/organized an increase from 27 to 52 volunteers (up 52%) for the Immanuel Lutheran Severe Weather Shelter and supported applications and background checks for the Severe Weather Task Force’s 2018-19 season.
- We have organized & supported events bringing people from all walks of life together for fun and unity. These events have included a couple of Art Shows, a Back to School Party for Homeless families with children, Clark County Unhoused Resident Association meetings and the annual Memorial Service for the Homeless.
- We help extend our reach in the global community by partnering with Facing Homelessness in Seattle and admin the “Facing Homelessness - Vancouver WA” project and create a beautiful, compelling Facebook page that humanizes the issue of homelessness. 3,200+ followers
OutsidersInn is helping to extend their global community by partnering with Facing Homelessness in Seattle and administering the “Homeless in Vancouver WA” project and creating a beautiful and compelling Facebook page that humanizes the issue of homelessness. It has become a popular and active Facebook community just in its first month. We have gotten over 1000+ followers at last count, and that number grows daily. Most story posts are read by 3 to 5 thousand people with one post even reaching almost 12+ thousand. We respond to every message directly in a timely manner and also pass along messages to the people the story is about, so communications can continue to grow. (www.facebook.com/HomelessInVancouverWA)